Are Sugar Alternatives Healthier?
- 680 News - sugar alternatives - June 11, 2018680 News - sugar alternatives - June 11, 2018If you want to substitute sugar in your diet there are choices of lesser refined sweeteners.
- Honey appears to be more natural and has a lower glycemic index but is 55% fructose – not much better than sugar.
- Agave has a lower GI index than honey with higher calories – 90% of it is fructose – not much better either and is higher in calories than sugar.
- Brown rice syrup is fructose free but 100% glucose much higher than sugar leading to a massive blood sugar spike. Its also the highest on the glycemic index.
- Stevia the healthiest is 300 times sweeter than sugar. There are no calories and no effect on blood sugar – but the flavor is bitter.
- Coconut sugar has a low glycemic index and the fibre slows sugars absorption.
- Maple syrup is high in sucrose but contains manganese and zinc.