Farro – The Upcoming Grain
- Move over quinoa- here comes farro – the new kid on the block.
- This nutritious, chewy, nutty ancient wheat grain holds up well when cooked and lasts days in the refrigerator.
- Farro has more fibre than quinoa and is a good source of iron.
- Just add 1 cup of farro to 3 cups of water, bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 – 25 minutes just until still chewy, drain and rinse with cold water if not using immediately.
- Substitute farro for rice, pasta, quinoa or any other grain. It can be served sweet or savoury.
- For a breakfast or lunch bowl add caramelized onions, feta cheese and a soft boiled egg over top.
- For a sweet option top with brown sugar and butter or greek yogourt and chopped fruit and nuts.
- Great added to a kale or arugula salad.