Foods You Should Not Refrigerate
- Warm weather brings concerns about what foods should or shouldn’t be refrigerated.
- Ketchup, hot sauce and bbq sauce do not need to be refrigerated due to the high acidic content.
- Maple syrup and honey can be left out due to the low moisture content. Refrigeration can cause crystallization.
- Peanut butter has a low moisture content and is best left at room temperature, especially for spreading. Keep in a dark cupboard to prevent going rancid, especially the natural varieties.
- Jams and jellies should be kept out due to the low moisture and acidic content.
- Potatoes should be kept in a dry dark cupboard. The cold breaks down the starches making them gritty.
- Coffee should be stored in an airtight container in the pantry. The refrigerator causes condensation ruining the flavour.
- All melons are best a room temperature until cut.