With fruits and vegetables at their height, homemade smoothies can be a perfect breakfast or snack when on the go. There are three components to a smoothie:
- First - fruits or vegetables of your choice. Frozen is great year round. Dried fruits give a natural sweetness.
- Second are the fillers which are the carbohydrates, protein or fat to keep you full for longer. Such as Greek yogurt, nut butters or seeds.
- And third, the right liquids to make the smoothie easy to drink. Any variety of milk such as cows, goat, almond, soy or rice.
- Never add commercial fruit juices which have fewer vitamins and fibre than whole fruit.
- The perfect ratio is 1 to 1 ½ cups of fruits or vegetables, one tbsp of nut butter or ¼ cup of yogurt and ½ to 1 cup of milk.