How Long Can Foods Really Last In The Freezer?
- We freeze so many foods today but how long can they actually last?
- Whole roasts, chickens and steaks last up to 12 months. Smaller cuts around 2 – 3 months.
- Lean fish like tilapia lasts up to 6 months, fattier like salmon up to 2 months and shellfish up to 4 months.
- Salted butter lasts up to a year, unsalted up to 3 months.
- Phyllo or puff pastry around 3 months.
- Frozen pizzas and frozen dinners are good for 3 - 4 months.
- Frozen fruit lasts up to 6 months.
- Foods that are best not frozen include opened dairy products such as milk and yoghurt, fresh eggs, egg substitutes, soft cheeses and any salads with mayonnaise.
- Before you freeze use blank sticky labels and a permanent marker to write the date on all frozen foods.