Important NutrientsCertain nutrients are more important than others - make sure you're getting your recommended intake of these vital nutrients:
- Potassium helps lower blood pressure and supports fertility. Increase your milk, avocados, bananas and sweet potatoes.
- Vitamin D and calcium go hand in hand. Without enough vitamin D, your body can’t absorb the calcium. Vitamin D keeps your bones healthy. This includes fatty fish, liver, mushrooms, egg yolks and milk. Sunshine helps as well. Calcium is good for your teeth and bones and muscle function. Dairy, kale and broccoli are good sources.
- Magnesium prevents osteoporosis, high blood pressure, muscle cramps and heart disease. Eat your spinach, whole grains and nuts.
- Fiber lowers cholesterol, lowers the risk of heart disease, diabetes, some cancers and helps in weight loss. Load up on grains, beans and fruits and veggies.
- Vitamin C is great for your bones and immune system. Strawberries and citrus are just a few of the many good sources of vitamin C.