Bibimbap is a Korean dish consisting of crunchy rice, beef, Asian sauce and a cooked egg over top. Here’s my simplified version.
This is a nutritious one-dish meal. You have your grains, vegetables and protein! Use brown rice if you want more nutrients and fibre.
1 cup basmati rice
1 cup water or stock
3/4 cup beef or chicken stock
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 1/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
4 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 ½ tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp hot sauce (Sriracha)
1 lb sirloin beef sliced thinly
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
3 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (any variety)
1 ½ cup thinly sliced onions
1 ½ cup thinly sliced carrots
¼ cup cilantro
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
2 eggs (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Spray a 9” x baking dish with vegetable oil
2. Bring rice and water or stock to a boil. Cover and simmer on lowest heat for 10 minutes. Let cool covered for 10 minutes.
3. Sauce: Combine all ingredients, set aside.
4. Heat large skillet sprayed with vegetable oil until very hot. Spread rice evenly over top. On medium-high heat, let rice sit for 10 minutes or until rice begins to slightly brown and become crisp. Toss rice another 5 minutes or just until rice is crisp. Spread over bottom of baking dish.
5. Dust meat with flour. Wipe out skillet, respray and on a high heat sear beef just until cooked to medium. Set aside.
6. Wipe out skillet, respray and sauté mushrooms until no longer wet, about 5 minutes. Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes; add carrots and sauté another 3 minutes. Add sauce and cook just until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Place meat over rice, then pour over sauce. Add cilantro and sesame seeds and bake for 5 minutes.
7. (Optional) eggs: Prepare 2 sunny side up eggs in skillet sprayed with vegetable oil just until barely cooked. Slip both eggs over top beef dish.
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
Nutritional Information per serving
Protein 20.8 g
Fat 5.8 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Carbohydrates 43.1 g
Sodium 366 mg
Fiber 2.6 g