The Easiest Way to Cook a Live Lobster
- Cooking a live lobster is a delicacy and experience.
- Cook the lobster the day you buy it. Keep it refrigerated and leave the bands on the claws. It should be alive and kicking! If lethargic it might be dead. Never cook a dead lobster.
- To handle it grab it around the big part of the shell behind the claws.
- The quickest way to kill a lobster is to first freeze it for about 30 minutes and then immersing it head first into a large pot of salted boiling water.
- Cover and return to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes for a 1 ¼ lb lobster.
- To grill or broil lobster parboil for 5 minutes then split down the middle with a sharp knife and finish in oven or grill for another 10 minutes.